I love quiche and am always looking for new ways to use kale in my cooking because I get a ton of it in my winter and early spring CSA boxes. So making a vegetarian quiche that contained kale seemed like a great idea to me. The thing is with kale is that the flavor and texture can be REALLY overwhelming. So I decided to include several different vegetables to mute the flavor and texture of the kale. Here is my final recipe
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced into strips
- 3/4 cup kale steamed and cut into fine strips
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan and romano cheese blend
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 store bought pie crust
- Blind bake the pie shell for 10 minutes at 350.
- In a pan sauteed all the vegetable except the kale. Cook until soft.
- Place cooked veggies without juices, and cheese in cooked pie shell.
- Beat together eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake 350 for 35 – 45 minutes
You can test the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the quiche. It should come out clean. I ended up eating this for both lunch and breakfast a couple times this week because was SO tasty. I wish that others in my family appreciated it but since they didn’t it was all for me to enjoy.