I’ve made Pork Chile Verde before when I have the time to make the green sauce from scratch. However, sometimes I’m too busy or lazy to make the sauce and I really really want this dish. That prompted me to see if I could make a simple easy version of this. The answer is yes, if you can find a good verde salsa to use. I like Hernandez Salsa Verde for this.
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 pound pork shoulder cubed (large cubes)
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 16 ounce jar of green tomatillo salsa
- Add oil to pan and bring up to temperature. Brown pork cubes. Do not cook through just lightly brown.
- Remove from pork from pan and place in slow cooker.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and saute
- Add tomatillo salsa to pan to deglaze
- Dump sauce into slow cooker on top of pork. Combine well.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours
- If the sauce doesn’t reduce enough in the slow cooker, transfer back to pan and reduce on the stove.
The awesome thing about this version of the recipe is it takes 15 minutes to put together which is a big pro for busy cooks.